Saturday, May 16, 2015

The Weekly Muse

Happy Weekend!  When I had my old blog I had a "weekly post" that was driven by the music I was listening to during the week.  It became some of my favorite writing moments; as a musician I feel music deep into the marrow of my bones.  Relating that to something going on in my life - was a great way for me to dig deep in my writing.  And so - I am happy to start up The Weekly Muse!

As you know from my previous post, we have been away for several days at a mountain retreat of sorts.  Musicians are never without music playing in the background.  From cooking to reading to cleaning...we always have music of some kind that suits the mood or activity.

These past few days have been so peaceful, so restorative that classical music has been the background of our days and evenings.  We did start with some mellow jazz but swiftly went for Mozart, Bach, Beethoven and Locatelli.  Something about these notes as you look out at the mountains - musical words floating and gliding over the landscape.


The soundtrack of our lives is as varied as the notes in a single song.  There is no "one genre" that we listen to exclusively.  In fact sometimes we jump around genres so often on long-distance drives that we end up laughing for miles and miles because we can't seem to settle on just one thing.

Musical ADHD.


The Oracle is also a musician.  Among the many instruments he plays - the saxophone is his ballywick. He sits back in the pocket of his prodigious talent and just - gently teases out accompaniments to some of his favorites sax players - such as David "Fathead" Newman.

While The Oracle's musical gifts are innate and natural, mine are not quite as easy.  As a pianist I must have the music in front of me - I can't "play along" as The Oracle does.  I need sheet music and hours of study & practice.  With it I can achieve things that sound like this:


No! That is NOT me playing...but after months of practice, it's pretty darn close to what I sound like. A few more weeks and it will sound like this.

Music - is our life in so many ways.  The enjoyment of it, the discovery of new artists, new genres, new ways of listening to old standards.  We remain always open to the experience.

And with this - you know why I always loved my Weekly Muse posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment